Thursday, December 14, 2006

Eleven Days to Christmas

I'm writing this with a box of tissue by my side as I'm at home with a bad cold. We haven't yet had our first major snowfall here in Toronto, and Naomi my 10-year old daughter is already panicking that we won't have a "white Christmas"!

I remember growing up in Lagos, we never had snow of course, and the Christmas season consisted of preparing to make the long drive down east to the village to visit with grandparents and extended family; or staying back in the then capital city with family and friends. It was as exciting as excitement was then, we had no computer games but a good game of scrabble or monopoly was as good as it got!

Dad would buy a goat and tie it up in the back of the house; we would continuously peer at the goat and oftentimes threatened to drag our frightened youngest brother, Oge, to the goat if he wouldn't give us some of the candy that Mom had given to him as her 'last born'.....ahhh! the good old days...

Of course, my children have no clue what I'm rambling on about when I tell these stories and as for killing a goat you had as a pet and eating goat meat for Christmas, Naomi considers it inhuman and gross. So here I am, eleven days till Christmas, with a temperature outside of 9C, which is above seasonal, remembering when life was much simpler and easier.

No comments: