Monday, February 5, 2007

Watch What You Say – Literally!

Recently, I have had to watch what I’ve been speaking over myself. I’m actually more careful in watching what I say over my children or other people, but fail more often in watching what I say over myself.

There I was unpacking the groceries on Saturday afternoon with my children, and Naomi turns to me and asks, “Mom did you get the flatbread for the wraps?” “How silly of me, I forgot – and it was on the list…how could I have forgotten?” I berate myself. But my daughter immediately cuts me off, “Mom! You’re NOT silly! Don’t call yourself silly! You’re smart!” I stopped short, realizing that what I had so patiently and consistently taught my children, they were teaching me right back!

What if God gave us what we spoke over ourselves – literally? That would be really scary in a lot of cases; you would agree with me that we would regret so many words we spoke if they literally happened before our very eyes. Take my example above for instance, what does silly mean? It means, ‘weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish’. Did you know calling yourself silly and calling yourself foolish, meant the same thing? I bet you didn’t; you probably thought like I did, that silly was milder. Well you thought wrong…

So why don’t you try this with me this week; watch very carefully what you speak over your family, but more importantly over yourself and see how many times you catch yourself speaking negative words; when you do, speak the reverse immediately, like Naomi did over me.

[Eph 4:29 ‘Watch your talk! No bad words should be coming from your mouth. Say what is good. Your words should help others grow as Christians – NLV]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Juliet,

this is a great verse. The next few verses are excellent as well - Ephesians 4:32 is among my favorite.

Nancy said...

I can sure relate to this! It was my 21 yr. old daughter who brought my words to myself to my attention. I've been quite mindful of this lately.
I found your blog when I did a web search for christian blogs. I'll stop by to read more another time.
God bless.
Nancy