Friday, January 5, 2007

Watching the Waiter



Have you ever watched a waiter at a restaurant? It is a very enduring task; the waiter assigned to your table has to always have his eyes in your direction for any sign you may give. Sometimes he anticipates your needs by refilling your water; they are always prepared to serve you in any way...



I guess that's how we should be waiting on His promises. I have quite a few unfulfilled promises given to me by the Lord and waiting has been an expectant joy in the beginning, then as the months and years went by and the promises were unfulfilled, waiting became a task. I have to learn to be like the waiter and fix my eyes on Him as I wait so that I'll see when the sign for the arrival of the promise is given....and even as I wait, I have to be prepared to serve Him in any way He asks of me, this actually makes the time of waiting seem to pass faster.

When I think of Abraham waiting for the promise of Isaac for so many years, I know that waiting is top on the Father's list of disciplines for us to learn and grow in. But when I read the 9 chapters of his waiting period in Genesis 12 to 20....that gives me strength also as I wait, knowing that despite my mistakes along the way, He sees my heart and at the right time will bring the promises to pass.

So the next time you go to a restaurant, watch the waiter, you may learn a few more things about waiting...

No comments: